Healthy Cities tutoring provided tutors for 431 students at 11 schools in San Carlos and Redwood City during the 2016-2017 school year. Additional tutors are needed again this year to meet the need.
Volunteers range in age from 14-94 and no prior tutoring experience is needed – just an interest in helping a child for 45 minutes once a week. Scheduling is flexible, before, during or after school.
- Where: White Oaks School, Multi-use Room, 1901 White Oak Way, San Carlos
- When: October 18
- Time: Two identical sessions offered: 8:30-10:30 AM and 6:30-8:30 PM.
This year we collected data directly from the students enrolled in the program on their experience. Some of those comments included the following:
- “I like how you were the only kid and it made it a lot easier.”
- “She was very kind to me when I had problems with other kids.”
- “She encouraged me to keep going forward.”
We need more tutors like YOU! Hope you can join us on October 18th.
Enjoy reading the June newsletter Heroes and Highlights!
On Wednesday, May 17, Healthy Cities Tutoring held its 21st annual Volunteer Recognition Reception to celebrate and honor the 361 volunteers who made a difference in the lives of our students this year.
The Council Chambers of City Hall in San Carlos was filled to the brim with Healthy Cities volunteers, teachers, parents, students and supporters from the community to celebrate this years volunteers.
The reception began with opening remarks from San Carlos Mayor Bob Grassilli, San Carlos School Board Board President Nicole Bergeron and Redwood City School Board President Hilary Paulson. Additional speakers at the event included principal Steven Kaufman, tutors Samuel Kaufman and Eimon Amjadi, parent Corrina Prado and student Mina Maldonado. All these speakers touched on how the program has made a difference in their lives.
Certificates of appreciation were handed out to all of the volunteer tutors. In addition, HCT was proud to honor the tutors who have reached a noteworthy tutoring anniversary:
5 years Tutoring Award Recipients:
- Judy Adams
- Nancy Agronin
- Heather Azadi
- Bill Barrons
- Nancy Crampton
- Janis Daniel
- Sandra Green
- Penny Greenberg
- Samuel Kaufman
- Judy Langstrom
- Laura Macfarlane
- Sara Mancini
- Marina Morilla
- Peter Tzifas
- Vivian Wang
10 years Tutoring Award Recipients:
- Cris Adair
- John Carpenter
15 years Tutoring Award Recipients:
- David Becht
- Bob Bensi
- Bob Langstrom
- Carolynn Licht
- Cathy Wilcox
20 years Tutoring Award Recipient:
- Linda Townsend
Many thanks to all of our volunteer tutors and the support form the broader community that makes this work possible!
Please join us for our 21st annual Volunteer Recognition Reception as we honor the 2016-2017 Healthy Cities Tutoring volunteers. Everyone involved in the program is welcome: tutors, students, parents, teachers, staff, donors and community members.
All volunteers will receive a Certificate of Appreciation and a small gift of thanks. Refreshments will be provided following the program.
For questions or more information call (650) 508-7327 or email Donna Becht at email@example.com.
We hope you will join our celebration!
The “Give Where You Live” campaign on May 2nd was a day of giving we will never forget! We are overwhelmed by the incredible generosity and the outpouring of support from our community during this 24-hour online giving event.
Because of your generous contributions, we are thrilled to announce that we raised a total of $20,522. With the $20,000 match from a long-time supporter which doubled your good, the GRAND TOTAL for “Give Where You Live” is $40,522!
The success of this giving day, will enable Healthy Cities Tutoring to deepen our impact in our community and allow us to grow and match more students who struggle in school with a caring tutor. Thank you for your meaningful investment in our program and for sharing in this remarkable day!
“Give Where You Live” was part of the national Give Local America day.
- Reduce stress and anxiety you or your student may experience from time to time
- Overcome frustrating situations more easily
- Understand young people’s development and learn new ways to support their growth
- Spend your time tutoring feeling more joyful and balanced
WHEN: April 26th 6:30-8:00pm
WHERE: San Carlos School District Board Room, 1200 Industrial Road, Unit 9B
WHO: The presenter will be Arda Ozdimir from the Institute for Inner Peace and Harmony
Enjoy reading the March newsletter Heroes and Highlights!
- When: Tuesday, March 7, 7:00-8:30 pm
- Where: Central Middle School library, 757 Cedar Street, San Carlos
- What: on Tuesday, 3/7, Healthy Cities Tutoring will host our annual workshop for tutors and parents about supporting your student in math. Elementary and middle school teachers Krista Carroll and Hillary Wiessinger will lead our discussion about resources, tools and strategies for teaching math. They will answer questions about the common core math curriculum and any other challenges you may face as you guide your student through their math studies. We hope you will take advantage of this opportunity to boost your skills and increase your confidence to support your student with their math work.
IN ADDITION, WE ARE OFFERING A TUTOR INFORMATION SESSION for anyone interested in becoming a volunteer with Healthy Cities Tutoring. This session precedes the math trai